What’s with Friday and 13 that makes most people jitter? Some would rather stay home and do nothing for the fear that something “unlucky” would occur to them while many blame Friday the 13th for whatever misfortune they encounter for the day. There is a worry of a sinking luck meant to take place which cannot be controlled (scary!).
My possible new client meeting did not push through today and was cancelled the last minute. My son has tonsillitis with fever and can’t come to school. Learned some bad news from a friend. At the least, I’ve been into a couple of ill-starred scenarios though very minor. Say, my coffee milk is out of stock at the 5 nearby grocery stores, namely: SM BF, Robinson’s Pergola, Tropical Hut Aguirre, One-Stop Mart, Puregold President’s Avenue. It is the first time all these supermarkets run out of it.
Shall I put the point finger to Friday, the 13th of November for all the so-called mishap, big or small?
No, my faith tells me not to believe it. But there are many with a strong inkling to such event and is somewhat interesting to find the “why” behind people’s behaviour given the date.
- The superstition surrounding this day may have arisen in the Middle Ages, “originating from the story of Jesus’ last supper and crucifixion” in which they were 13 in the dining hall for the “last supper” and a prelude to his death on a Friday.
- Another suggested origin of the superstition—Friday, 13 October 1307, the date Philip IV of France arrested hundreds of the Knights Templar.
- There is also a name of the freaky Friday the 13th phobia called paraskevidekatriaphobia (from the Greek words Paraskeví meaning “Friday” and dekatreís meaning “thirteen”).
- Fear of the number 13 has been given a scientific name “triskaidekaphobia”.
- Most, if not all, buildings skip the 13th floor.
- According to the Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in Asheville, North Carolina, an estimated 17 to 21 million people in the United States are affected by a fear of this day, making it the most feared day and date in history.
- There is a Friday the 13th movie franchise and 12 films are created from 1980 to 2009 starring the horror-icon, Jason.
- Today is the 3rd Friday the 13th of 2015—February, March, and November. Apparently, we survived the first two pretty well and blessings continue to come our way after that, right?
Reference: Wikipedia Photo Source: Images courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net